Making Friends (at the Playground)

Malcolm is one of those few students in his class that doesn’t take his lunch in school. Each day, I will pick him up for his 2 hours lunch and send him back thereafter. Our 2 hours break serves as a good break for him. We cook, we eat, we chat and we talked about what happens in school. It is something he looks forward to and also a little incentive for him to attend the full day school where everyone blabbers in a language he has yet to master. I can imagine the stress he is going through as not speaking the language makes even the simplest thing tough.

Making friends is one of those things that can either make or break his day.

sanicole 028

I realized that dealing with rejection and learning to socialize with his peers are skills he needs to acquire even as early as his age. It is one of those things that he needs to figure out himself and I can only listen, encourage and hope that things will get better.

Just last week, he was troubled and saddened when he was rejected by his classmates at the playground and after 1 week of experimenting, he comes up with his new ‘strategy’ for making friends at the playground. So here it goes,

Step 1. Choose a tree

Step 2. Stand under the tree

Step 3. Wait for predator to approach

Step 4. Reject males, as they usually play fighting games

Step 5. Accept females, though he has no clues what they are talking

if Step 3 fails, repeat Step 1

When asked why he choose to wait for friends to approach him,

he replied, ‘because it doesn’t work if I ask them to play’

And so far, it is working.

1. U.Lee says:

Hi, kids make friends very easily….they see things we adults don’t see, they laugh at what we don’t….
    yes, kids know how to have fun.
    Best regards, Lee.

2. Little Munchkins says:

It must be so hard especially for a little one with the language barrier. He must want so much to play with everyone too.

To answer your question from my blog, I am actually not Japanese…I just have an obsession with Japanese novelty fabrics. I am trying to use them as much as I can now before DD outgrows these kind of fabrics!

3. 4MalMal says:

hullo June,
    I thought it was quite funny, reminds me of the hunter and the hare story.

hi u.lee,
    ya kids really know how to have fun, trying hard to see what he sees and what I don’t 😉

hi little munchkins,
    thanks for satisfying my curiosity.

hi blessed mum,
    ya, he can be quite shy and he kind of choose who he wants to play with and what he wants to play. Hard to convince him.

4. The Farmer Files says:

It is brilliant that you bring your son home for the two hour lunch. I bet it will be one of his favorite memories looking back on his childhood.

I would love to know how what brought you to France, and if you are living there indefinitely.

Much aloha from Hawaii! Mahalo (thank you) for stopping by my blog.

5. 4MalMal says:

hey angeline,
    ya I think he does think quite a bit for his age.

hullo farmer files,
    we r going to be here for a year, going back sunny spore next june 🙂

6. Ann says:

Well…every ‘bad’ thing taht happens creates a good reaction.

Good that he is thinking positive and training his mind to come up with strategies…

Hope as parents, you don’t have to come up with greater strategies to ‘fight’ his!!! hahaha….hmm…