The Inevitable Has Happened

Haven’t we all heard how tourists often fall prey to pickpockets in big cities ? We read, we take precautions and we think we are safe from evil hands.

And there I was, about to rejoice over our peaceful stay in Europe when yesterday, the inevitable happened.

We were on our way home from the library. Inside the metro station, I was lugging a bagful of books and pulling my son’s roller scooter along. Somehow, I had decided to leave my sling pouch together with the bagful of books. The sling pouch is where I usually put my personal belongings.

While we were going through the turnstile, I noticed a tall African man lurking behind me. He was hoping to get through the turnstile at the same time as us, without a ticket. He failed, for there was no way for the narrow turnstile to accommodate a boy, a scooter, a woman, a big bag AND A BIG MAN !

Somehow, I felt that the man was up to more evil than just trying to get through the turnstile illegally. He could have jolly well jumped over if he was really desperate to board the train. I have seen people do that before.

Feeling suspicious, I searched through my pockets to make sure that my purse was still there. It was there and I was too busy with both my hands, helping Malcolm down a flight of stairs to turn around to check on the man. Anyway, I knew he was still caught on the other side of the turnstile. My purse was in my right pocket, my handphone was in my left together with the house keys. All my valuable belongings were in my pocket that day, for convenience sake.

All was well, I thought. Never did I expect that it was during that short instant, the man had skillfully fished out my sling pouch from my bag without me feeling a thing.

So I WAS PICKPOCKETED AFTERALL, right under my nose!

I lost a made-in-Thailand hand-me-down sling pouch
heaps of tissue paper, used and new
and a precious nail clipper from Switzerland

I hope the loot made the crook VERY happy!

BLEH!

1. Sandra says:

Oh… at least u didn’t lose any monies – i felt so safe in Switzerland that i had left my backpack hanging on my son’s stroller (this was like 4yrs ago) while shopping on the busy Thursday before Easter, parked his stroller at the end of the isle as it was too crowded to take with, ran to get something & only discovered that my wallet was picked when at the cashier!! It was a terrible experience. But i learn.

Btw, i hope u have a safe trip home – how long were u in Paris for??

Rachel : hey Sandra, oh no! that must be a hard lesson! Mothers with kids seem to be the best targets! We were here since last feb, not long but long enough for me 🙂

2. pc says:

unfortunately for the lost but fortunately for not a huge one :p.
    well, somehow we are learning to be wiser!!! though painfully.

Rachel : hopefully this will teach me to be wiser !

“hey, lucky you!”
    ok, maybe this isn’t the right sentence.
    if you hadn’t had those ‘important stuff’ in your pockets, they could be in his hands already!!!

Rachel : I agree that I was quite ‘lucky’

4. Tin says:

Phew, luckily all your precious stuff are in your pockets!

I’m sure the crook will be VERY “happy” with the heaps of tissue ! hahaha!

Rachel : Hey tin, ya man, I hope that will make his day

5. kole says:

thankfully you didnt lose your phone and keys!!!
    whew.. but it must still be so infuriating!

tissues will come in handy for him to wipe his tears!
    ha..

Rachel : yeah rite Kole, he must be damn pisssssssed and hope he find the tissue useful

6. Ann says:

Yeah, thank God he didn’t take any of the important stuff! THa would have been really bad and what a hassle!

Rachel : yeah thank goodness, I can’t imagine the hassle

7. KC says:

Hey I was pickpocketed in a Paris Metro station in exactly the same way too, a man was trying to squeeze through the turnstile with me, however I was not as lucky as you, he took my wallet containing Euro 200+ and SGD 100+, in addition to my driving licence. 🙁

Rachel : hey KC, sorry to hear about that and thanks for dropping a note, seem like it is a good distraction tactic and we thought they were just trying to get through the turnstile.

8. Leonny says:

Hi there!

I saw (not once, but twice) a group of young men harassing people to a point of pushing a lady until she fell before grabbing her bag. That was in Paris too, and it all happened just 5m away from me! Scary …

Thank God you guys are okay!

9. Hoonie says:

haha… tissue used and unused! bet he must be sooooo happy with his find! and now he can keep his nails nice and short! gesh! good thing u had the impt things in your pockets!

my dad had his whole briefcase pick-‘floor’ in the metro station. he and his colleague were looking at the map, figuring out where to go and had his briefcase placed on the floor in btw them. someone just conveniently took it and they din even realise it till they wanted to walk off! Good thing all our passports and air tickets was with our mum! Usually he keeps it in his briefcase! We were touring with him that particular trip. So let’s not take too many things for granted… which i think we do in Singapore!